Saturday, May 21, 2016

Don't be Selfish

As I sit on a bench at the park next to our local farmers market, I am watching my 3yr old run around without a care in the world.  It makes me reflect on my weight loss journey and really emphasizes how important it is that I succeed.  I know what you're thinking.  That I need to lose weight to be there to watch my daughter get married and all that stuff.  The truth is that's selfish thinking but, that's not really what sticks out in my mind.  Next time you're out in public look around at the parents of any kids you see.  When I do that, an overwhelming pattern forms.  Fat parents= fat kids.  That may sound mean or heartless but the truth sometimes sounds harsh.   Our kids don't choose to be fat.  We, as parents, either keep them healthy or make them fat.  Now, if you are overweight then you know how being fat limits you.  I don't want that for my kids.  I want them to have every opportunity to pursue what ever their hearts desire.   We, as parents, have to teach them how to be healthy.  How to eat right and how to put your iPad or phone down to go outside and run around.  How to have fun in the sun and get a good sweat going.  To date, both my kids are very healthy and not overweight, but that's because I'm conscious of that.  I make sure they eat good foods for the most part and don't drink soda or eat a bunch of candy and crap.  They both eat veggies on the regular and drink plenty of water.  They only get crappy cereals on the weekends and so forth.  But how long can I keep doing that if I am fat.  At some point, my girls will look at me and say "daddy, why do we have to eat good to not be fat when you are".  Up until 2 week ago I was being a hypocrite.  So, for me, I can't afford to fail because it's not just about saving my life, but about saving my kids' future lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment